Sunday, November 23, 2008

Video Editing






























I took a film making course at the University of Bath and this was the result. All the editing was done in Windows Movie Maker and I'm fairly happy with the result. Working with strangers on creative projects where no one is in charge is always interesting and insightful.


This was several years ago and it was originally published to the web as an .swf file, compressed and rendered with Flash 8 Video Encoder. Things have moved on and I'm happy with result of recompressing the video in the F4V format using Media Encoder CS4. The file size is larger but the progressive download ensures there's very little delay. I used the Flash CS4 FLVPlayback component but just to be interesting the player is published as a Flex application. I made a few small changes to the player skin to get the combination of controls that I wanted - mute is essential! I also manually changed the highlight colour of the buttons. The highlights are not symbols so this change can't be made via code - I'm sure someone has changed that by now.

No comments: