Thursday, May 7, 2009

Pixel Grid



I have been doing some work for a newly formed video production company, Autofuss. These guys are very professional and have been involved in some pretty stunning campaigns which have aired nationally. This pixel grid has come out of my efforts to also get people thinking of Autofuss for interactive media production.

The basic technique expands on David Wicks' dice mirror. It takes advantage of Adobe's Pixel Bender technology to rapidly produced a binary filtered image from the webcam. The resulting 1s and 0s determine which version of the logo is displayed at each location.

I used Flash's native components to build the menu panel which certainly simplifies the task of addding in interactivity. This was nice and easy to add in as this application is built on an AS3 version of the MVC framework I used for the Warhawk widget. I think my favourite settings so far involve a green background, low resolution and a good amount of padding.

I have added a greyscale version of the grid here.

No comments: